Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Monday, June 15, 2020

Dungeon Configure Book Review

Dungeon Configure is the first book in the Dark Exchange series. Currently there are two books out, but this is just my review on the first. Book one was published on December 5, 2019.

I've read quite a few dungeon core stories, but none that I've read have actually taken place on our modern day Earth. When David gets in a brutal car crash with some unworldly beast he wakes up to see his own body, lying broken in the wreckage of his prized car. Before long his fairy guide shows up to teach him the ways of being a dungeon core, which he promptly kills with a bug zapper. And every other wannabe guide that comes after. Using the corpses of those fairies he is able to make his own minions to revive his damaged body. Now David has two consciousnesses, one is his physical body and the other is the dungeon. They are both separate but with the ability to send his body out into the world the opportunities are limitless, that is until David's body becomes horribly disfigured in a terrible accident. Now on the run David tries to repair his body. Meanwhile David's dungeon sentience is fighting a core on another world. Before long dungeon David is overrun and "human" David must try to reclaim his territory from an ancient and powerful core, else he dies in seven days.

I have very mixed feelings about this book. Parts were good, I was reading and like, okay, this is getting good. 30 minutes of reading later and the author suddenly introduces something new without explaining it well, which made it bad again. It went on like that until the end of the book, it was not very consistent. For instance, a new system to David's interface was added, and that wasn't well explained. How he got many different creatures and learned how to access certain parts of his interface weren't explained either. It made it really difficult to enjoy all of the book, and I just had to accept that for half of the additions to keep the story interesting they made no sense. Another issue I had with the book was a lot of vulgar comments. They were totally unnecessary and just made me annoyed at the author. I also found myself annoyed that the authors characters criticized LitRPG as being a vulgar genre and disliking that. There were two reasons I had issues with that, that you kind of half to go searching for that (you don't really stumble upon it, and if you do you can avoid it) and the author was writing a book with many vulgar comments. It was very hypocritical in that way and just annoyed me, because many times when the genre was brought up that was mentioned. My final issue with the book was it didn't switch between dungeon David and "human" David well. It did switch between them often but usually not in the smoothest manner where I knew I was suddenly reading about the other David. Aside side from those things though, I did really enjoy parts of the story. It was violent, but it was an interesting book and I enjoyed reading it for the most part. I don't know how much of a dungeon core book it is though. Most of the story focused on "human" David, and while he had dungeon core powers nobody was delving that dungeon. It was still LitRPG but it definitely is not exclusively dungeon core. Overall, parts of the book were very good but others were just hopelessly confusing and I don't feel like I can recommend it to read or to stay away from, I had very mixed feelings about the book. For those that have read the book, please let me know your thoughts in the comments below. Personally, I don't think I will continue the series because although it wasn't bad, it wasn't good enough to make me want to read more.
Dungeon Configure a Gamelit LitRPG dungeon core: Book One Dark Exchange by [Troy Neenan, German Creative, Joshua Mason]

No comments:

Post a Comment