Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Thursday, May 10, 2018

Journey to the Centre of the Earth Book Review

I recently read Journey to the Centre of the Earth by Jules Verne. This book is quite old though, it was published on November 25, 1864. The book was translated from French to English in 1871. The book is in the public domain and free because it is in the public domain, which is how I received the book.

The copy I received had different names than some because the names vary per translation, but it followed Professor Hardwigg and his nephew/assistant Harry. They discover a secret note in an extremely old book and after cracking the code, it tells that the earth is mostly hollow and you can travel to the very center, just as the writer of the note did. Without any hesitation, Hardwigg is ready to go and drags his reluctant nephew along with him. They do need a guide though, so they recruit a guide with almost no emotion called Hans. The rest of the book follows their adventure to the center of the earth, with all their perils like starvation, dehydration, and should-be extinct animals.

The book was very interesting, to say the least, and at the same time the most. Although the author was very creative and parts were interesting, the majority was just boring and slightly confusing, which I cannot blame the author for because this was written so long ago. A lot of the words were new to me too, which I love expanding my vocabulary, but this was way too often. This made the book take forever to read. Usually, I would recommend or don't recommend a book, but with this one, I'm on the fence. Although it wasn't good, it wasn't bad either. The book was just okay, although the book is also a classic, which made me want to read it. I can't give my recommendation so I would recommend you to choose to read or not read it by taking into consideration what I wrote in my review.

No comments:

Post a Comment