Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Friday, December 13, 2019

Dungeons of Strata Book Review

Dungeons of Strata is a soon to be released book by author G.D. Penman. This book will be released on the 20th of January. I got this book because I am member of Portal Book's (the publisher) Street Team, but all opinions and thoughts are wholly my own.

Martin has a boring day job, with a boss that doesn't like him, low pay, no family near him, no significant other, there is a lot he does not have, but he does have Dracolich Online and a trashy VR Headset. That is, he had Dracolich Online until they decided to not update the game anymore. It is all worthless now, the incredible gear he had, the top clan status, his character. Now, there isn't really much there for him, until he finds a new game, Strata. Strata is a high tech neuro-transmitted world with technology far superior to everyone else and Martin gets to play it. The first to beat the game gets a prize everyone wants, the game has been out a month and nobody has gotten past the halfway point, but Martin and the best members from his old clan feel they are up to the task. Their group is going to try to beat this seemingly sentient world and claim the prize.

This was a good book. The book started a little slow but eventually gained momentum and became a very enjoyable read. Martin wasn't the strongest, but he was smarter than the average player and much more strategic so it made for a welcome change of pace. A lot of LitRPG books can be very power based but Martin's advantage in this book was his intellect. I really enjoyed all the different tactics his group used and even though the book was a little slow to start it eventually redeemed itself. The main character had an interesting perk of choosing a more jack of all trades, master of none type class so it was interesting to see how he utilized that in different situations. One thing I did wish was in the book though was a little more "mundane" time, just to get to know the characters better so you can really root for them. This was a good book though, and I don't regret reading it, I don't think you will either.

No comments:

Post a Comment