Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Monday, January 27, 2020

Rayne Book Review

Rayne is an origin story in the Davincia series. I did a review on book one here. Rayne is an origin story for the character Rayne (shocking, I know), who will appear in book two. The book was published on December 23, 2019. This book can supposedly be read as a standalone "short" story (the book is still around 240 pages).

Rayne lives in the same world as the rest of the Dravincia series. The same mechanics, same rules, same benefits, but most importantly, the same problems. Rayne lives in an impoverished area, he is 14 years old and to not to starve he turned to thieving. He is now well on his way to being a master thief and thriving under his mentor's tutelage. All that matters for him is caring for his sister, and keeping his abusive father away from the both of them. After a failed mission Rayne must go on the lam, take his sister with him, and leave the somewhat comfortable world he knew behind.

Overall this was an awesome book. The writing was similar to book one, but the story much different, so if you liked the first book you will like this one as well. I really enjoyed this book, it was definitely lighter on the skills and abilities, however stats, damage, and other things like that were all still there. There was a part halfway through the book that was kind of cheesy and unoriginal, but overall that didn't last for more than a few pages before the author put his own spin on it. I really enjoyed this book because of the story and because I knew about each of the characters. Some authors forget to build characters up because they are too busy focusing on action, but I really felt like I knew the characters in this book. Personally, I would still read the first book first, even though this is supposed to be readable as a standalone. The book is still great, but some of the overarching stuff that happens in the book would be a little confusing to a person who hadn't read book one. Overall, it is a great book and great read, it has an awesome world and great world mechanics. If any of what I said sounds interesting, I recommend you look at this book because it is a great read.
Image result for the dimensional wars rayne

No comments:

Post a Comment