Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Monday, June 1, 2020

Second Chance- A Battle Mage Reborn Book Review

Second Chance- A Battle Mage Reborn is the first book in the EndWorld Everlasting Saga. The book is by R. Brady Frost. Currently there is only one book in the series, which was published on October 17th of this year.

Denton Wade is an aging older man dying from cancer. He also distrusts new technology with a passion. For those nearing the end of their life though there is an opportunity for a guaranteed afterlife, which is similar to a video game. Even though Denton doesn't trust technology at the urging of his children he and his eldest daughters look at the facilities. While there Denton pretty much decides he isn't going to do it, however he finds himself in the game world before he even leaves the place. It turns out he died two weeks after that visit, and had changed his mind and decided to upload his consciousness. However before that could happen he had passed away, the only reason he was in the game now was that they had scanned him when he first visited. Now in a game world he begrudgingly accepts the new level one player will set out to save the virtual world.

The writing in this book was good, however, the story was not. There wasn't much that was unique to the story, I felt like it was just a generic book that didn't stand out from any others in the genre. The book wasn't bad, but it didn't make me want to read it. I had to push myself to finish the book as it couldn't keep my attention. Practically everything I read was done before, the best parts seemed to be ideas taken from other books. While that isn't necessarily bad it didn't keep my interest because I felt like I was reading something that I had before. The story hadn't added anything unique to itself. The character was lucky enough to be spawned with a rare relic which he temporarily traded for a sword that was very overpowered for his level. I didn't really like that, it meant that his power was more given to him instead of earned. He also had allies that were more powerful than him so while there was a couple pages of him working himself most of it was him fighting with the more experienced, it felt like the character never earned much himself. One example of that were some rare drops he found, the more experienced person told him exactly what to do in order to profit off of it. There wasn't much that I enjoyed about the book, but there were a few things. The dialogue was fun to read and two of the characters were intriguing, neither of those being the main one. One such example was a guy who got cheated out of all of his money and went from a weapon combatant to a brawler with metal pants. While that seemed odd his story was very interesting and I think if the book was written from his point of view it would be much more entertaining, funny, and a more enjoyable read. The other was a woman who's main quest was to protect and save some dire wolf pups, I would have loved to hear more of her story and the other guy's. I feel like the story had promising characters, but the main character and the general basic world made it so the story just wasn't that interesting. Overall, I wouldn't recommend this book but I hope the author's next series can tap into more of his own ideas, like metal pants and the dire wolf protector.
Second Chance - A Battle Mage Reborn (Book 1): An EndWorld Everlasting Saga by [R. Brady Frost]

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for your review, Taylor.
    Although you didn't much like my first book, and wouldn't recommend it to other readers, I hope you will give me a 'second chance'. I am nearly finished with the second book, The Broken Blade, and I think you will likely find it more enjoyable.

    It's important to note that Second Chance is Denton's first foray into the digital world. He certainly gets some help along the way, but he isn't able to fully bind his sword. This means he isn't able to fully benefit from the gift. But don't worry, Denton's journey in EndWorld Everlasting is just beginning. He has much to learn as he continues to find his way in this strange, new world.

    You'll also get to learn more about Raven and Ely as the series continues.

    Thank you for taking the time to read my book. I know there are a lot of options out there, and I'm glad you took a chance -- even if it wasn't ultimately what you were looking for.

    R. Brady Frost

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, if you didn't read the bonus chapter after the Author Notes, I definitely recommend doing that. :)

    ReplyDelete