Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Thursday, July 18, 2019

Skulduggery Pleasant Book Review

A couple years ago I read the Skulduggery Pleasant book series, or part of it anyway. I finished the third book and loved every second of it but couldn't find the next book in English. It looked like it was only in some other language (can't remember what). Looking at it now it looks like it was originally published in English, so I have no idea what I was doing. I decided to revisit the series though, and am very glad I did. The first book in the series was published on April 3, 2007, the books are written by Derek Landy and published by HarperCollins. I received the first two books from HarperCollins to read and review but these opinions are, and always will be, my own.

Stephanie Edgley is an intelligent and mature teen, especially compared to her peers. She and her uncle were very very close, he was a professional author who wrote dark stories o extraordinary power where, in the end, the protagonist dies a tragic death. When her uncle passes away though, he leaves her almost everything he has accumulated through his many years of being a professional author. She gets his estate, book royalties and more. When her mom and her go to the house one day to look at what is now hers, her Mom's car breaks down and she leaves Stephanie at the house so she can go get the car fixed. While Stephanie is there, the house is robbed my a magician who attacks her, only to be saved by a silver tongued skeleton. She is then introduced to a world of magic, on the brink of war and it is up to her and Skulduggery to save the world.

This was a great book and it is crazy. The banter between Stephanie and Skulduggery made it really fun to read but the book also is just bizarre, in a great way. The characters are all well rounded and the dialogue is great, the authors creativity is amazing. I definitely recommend this book because it has a great story, the dialogue (and the entire book) is funny but in a way that doesn't hinder the story. I think this book would be a fun read for anyone who is looking for a fun and funny (but not too funny that it hinders the story) read. The primary age though for kids who would love these books would probably be Middle and High School Teens, I thought it was a great read though, and definitely recommend it.

No comments:

Post a Comment