Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Monday, January 13, 2020

Blood of Fate Book Review

Before you read the review I would like to say a few things. This is not a positive review, however many others enjoyed this book... but I did not. The author is Dan Sugralinov, one of my all time favorites, if not my favorite, and he has written great books. In fact the review I wrote before this was an update on how great book three for one of his other series is. This book was disappointing but the rest of this author's work is so good. His other series are Level Up and Disgardium if you want to look at my review for those, as they will not disappoint.

Blood of Fate is book one in the World 99 series. The series is written by Dan Sugralinov and was first published on November 19th, 2019. So far there is only one book in the series.

Luca is a paralyzed boy. His legs are useless and his arms are barely strong enough to push his wheelchair forwards. When taunted by bullies throwing stones at him, one kills him. An inter-dimensional traveler reincarnates in Luca's body, heals his paralysis, and sits back to watch. This is this traveler's last reincarnation and he is tired of life. Giving up his life is the last thing he does, Luca is flooded with knowledge and a healed body, and he uses the traveler's perks to gain an unbelievable power. Luca, however, is sentenced to slavery after retaliating against his attackers, he is not not able to claim self defense because the traveler healed all his wounds. Luca must now find his own way in this decrepit world he finds himself in.

Some who have read my other reviews may have realized that Dan Sugralinov is one of my favorite authors, however I was very disappointed when reading this. I have loved his other two series and couldn't stop reading them but this one just didn't impress me. The story was kind of bland and time seemed too disjointed. Luca's power had nothing to do with time, by the way. Time just seemed erratic, months between paragraphs or a day between them and you would read a section and only later realize that was a month after the past part instead of a day after, or that section you just read was a few days before the other event you just read about. This just gets worse as the story goes on. The whole book could span a fortnight or years, but I have no idea which. Another issue is Luca's rise to power was way too fast, there didn't really seem to be too much struggle on his part. He didn't use his power to its full potential and almost every character, even Luca himself, seemed like a stranger. The story had potential but I felt like it could have been carried out much better. At the end of the book it did make it seem like the author will have a chance to redeem it in the next book, if he chooses to do so. When the next book comes out, I will probably read it in the hopes that it gets better, because I know this author can write so much better, but I don't know if it will for sure. The LitRPG aspects/Gamelit aspects were also way too light. The ability Luca had wasn't well defined, or well used, and the "experience" system he had made no sense. When Luca acted in self defense he would be penalized, which was odd with how the rest of the story went. The power and abilities were also never well developed, he did not actively search for ways to increase his power and didn't work to better himself. The power Luca possessed was also not used the best way it could be. I don't recommend this book but I will make an update after I read the second book. Like I said at the start of this review I want to say though that although I was unhappy with this book, his other series Disgardium and Level Up are some of my all-time favorites. Going back to this book though, if you already don't feel like reading it, read below for some start-of-the-book spoilers that may change your mind depending on the kind of books you enjoy.

Luca becomes the emperor, but his struggle to get there is pretty much nonexistent and it doesn't seem as if he deserves it. A lot of the book focuses on the ruling of the kingdom, which you may find interesting but it wasn't my thing. This would involve different decisions and things like that that you may find really interesting but I just couldn't get behind it. If that changes your mind and you decide to read this book, let me know as I'd love to hear your thoughts on it.
Blood of Fate (World 99 Book #1): LitRPG Series by [Sugralinov, Dan]

No comments:

Post a Comment