Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Wednesday, May 30, 2018

Battledoors: The Golden Slate Book Review

I received Battledoors: A Golden Slate from Netgalley by Brian Wilkenson quite a while back. Then, to be honest, took forever to get to reading it. I had been bogged down and then finally got around to start to read it. Which I am so glad I did.

The book is part of the Battledoors Series, it is the first installment in it. It follows a close trio, which is Owen, the protagonist, whose mom recently died, but does his best to stay positive, loving, and caring. It follows Emily, Owen's crush and almost everyone else's but even with her good looks, stays kind and a mediator. In the trio, there is also Bea, who is the nerd of the group. With large braces, she usually hates pretty-girls like Emily, but the two get past their differences to find similarities which one may not see on the outside. Then there are two tag-alongs to this trio, their names being James and Lucas. James is a bully who doesn't know when to stop and Lucas is just following his lead most of the time. The book follows the two groups that are forced to become one through a Choose Your Own Adventure-like story where they are literally in that story. They travel through a book at a bookstore and are forced to face things that only nightmares have in them. Although this plot may seem kind of silly and far-fetched, it is because I am explaining it. Wilkenson, the author, is a wizard with words and makes what I just described so much better.

The book is a definite read though. There is not a dull moment and the characters are all dynamic, meaning they grow and change throughout the story. Like I said before though, the author is a great writer and adds comedic parts all over, no matter how dangerous the situation is. I highly recommend this book though because there is another series like this I started to read, but the author just couldn't get it down. She left too many dull boring parts and made the intrigue of the story lose all of its magic, which this author definitely didn't do. It was kept interesting the whole time and you start to feel sympathetic for each and every one of the characters, even the bullies. This is a definite read though so do yourself a favor and get your hands on a copy.

No comments:

Post a Comment