Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Sunday, January 5, 2020

Dravincia Book Review


Hello all! This isn't part of the review but I would like to let you know of my New Year's Resolution. That Resolution is to write a review a week, whether for a novel or a whole series. For that reason you can expect regular reviews until February (just kidding... hopefully). Also, please leave comments, let me know if you agree or if you don't. I'd love to hear from people who read my reviews, like the one below.

The Dimensional Wars series starts with book one, Dravincia. This is a series written by Blake Severson, the first book came out on October 13th, 2019. So far, there is only one book out but another is on the way.

There isn’t too much special about Arthur, he has a well paying job, but not much in his life other than his parents. At 35-ish the most exciting thing that will happen to him is going to be the last. Lounging around his house he looks at the window to see a husband yelling at his wife then he starts to hit her. Arthur jumps into action and gets stabbed trying to save that woman. He doesn’t make it. He wakes up in a vast emptiness and a goddess appears to him, because of the circumstances of his death he will be reincarnated in a new world, which naturally functions with RPG-like mechanics. He wakes up in a new body, finding himself about ten years younger and in a world stricken with poverty, famine, corrupt lords and corrupt kings. Arthur must use his knowledge and power to liberate these people from these oppressive forces, it will be one man uniting a weak village to fight an army.

I really enjoyed this book. I took a little to get into it but once I did it got really good. It is a longer book but it was definitely kept interesting. There was some magic in the world which was good, however it is maddening when you see a way the character could use the magic better. That is something I found quite annoying with this book, there were a few times I saw a solution that would have worked really well but the author didn’t think to include it. The other issue is sometimes the dialogue is written in a very one two one two way, by that I mean it is very obvious the author is steering the conversation and the dialogue falls into a rhythmic patter, not in a good way. Throughout the book I think the author gets better at writing dialogue and making it have less of that obvious steering of the conversation. Overall, both of those are pretty minor issues and the story is very good, well written, and even has some plot twists and turns. I did like the way the magic worked as it was very uniquely done, even if it did annoy me a little. I would like to caution though there are some slight sexual part but it is more fade to black, it doesn’t really say too much. I do recommend buying and reading this book because the only issues I had were minor and the story was really great and well written.

Image result for dimensional wars dravincia

2 comments:

  1. I have to say i enjoyed this book as well. I also understand your concern for the dialogue but i have heard it's his first book and the growth along the way definitely shows. his book two is out now too. it's called Rayne. it's a secondary character but i liked it a lot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to be reviewing that (Rayne) as well soon, since I think it is supposed to be possible to read as a stand-alone. I do think the dialogue got better though so I bet soon it will read as completely natural speech.

      Delete