Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Thursday, December 19, 2019

Dungeon World Series Review

The first Dungeon World book was published on March 2, 2019. There are now four books in the series and it seems like another one may be on the way. The series is written by Jonathan Brooks. I read the first three books over the summer and then got my hands on the most recently published book this week. It looks like there will be at least one more book in the series.

Fredwynklemossering (please excuse me if I spelled that wrong), or Fred, is the son of two dungeon cores. Usually, when one dungeon core loves another dungeon core, they make a baby dungeon core, but in Fred's case, they made a seemingly normal baby human. Fred is somewhat lonely, but content. Once he is older though, he goes out into the wild for his first trip outside his parent's dungeon to see the surrounding forest. He sees the world for the first time, but upon return to his parents' dungeon he finds his parents were murdered by the dungeon core supreme counsel. Vowing to take revenge in his parents' name, Fred ventures out into the wild and confusing world of humans to gain strength and skill, but he also finds friends and enemies. Throughout his journey Fred will discover he has abilities unlike any human or dungeon core before him and it is up to him to learn how to harness those abilities as well as control them.

I enjoyed this book series a few months ago and I enjoyed it these week. The books tend to be a little longer, but they do keep your attention. The main focus of these books are epic and huge battles, which is both bad and good. I felt like that was such a crucial part of the story, the author sometimes ended up neglecting character development and really introducing new characters. For the most part, the first book was pretty good at that but I feel like the other books lagged behind in that a bit. The battles were really cool but I just felt that some of that character attachment you get in other books you read where you watch the character grow with the story was missing. One thing I did enjoy was how the main character, Fred, didn't quite understand social cues very well. That could be attributed to the fact that he had only been around his un-moving and expressionless dungeon core parents all his life. This created comedic moments and gave the story some comic relief when it needed it. This was a LitRPG book and it had pretty detailed stats which I really liked as it just gave a very concrete sense of strength and power. Another thing I really enjoyed was at the start of each book it had a pretty in-depth summary with all the major points about the previous books.This reminded me what happened in the previous books and it made it much easier to pick up right where I left off, which was really helpful for me as I couldn't read the books back to back. Overall this was a series I have enjoyed and would recommend, I just wish there was some more character development taking place. That being said however, the epic fights which made up the vast majority of the books were really cool and something that I haven't really found in other books before. If any of that sounds interesting to you, I would give it a try and it is on Kindle Unlimited.
Dungeon World: A Dungeon Core Experience

No comments:

Post a Comment