Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Sunday, May 24, 2020

He Who Fights With Monsters Book Review #2

I reviewed this series a few months ago, but a good chunk more of that book has been released. If you haven't seen that review, check that out first because this will include spoilers for some of the newer parts. Last I reviewed this it had 166 chapters, it is now up to almost the mid 250s. The review for the first part is here: http://dragons-lair-book-blog.blogspot.com/2020/02/he-who-fights-with-monsters-book-review.html

I won't recap the story because I did that in the last review. However, I feel like the writing style has changed a little. In the more recent part of the book, lots has changed in the story. I feel like Jason is becoming less of a bizarre and strange politician and more of a person hardened by his experiences. This is both good and bad though. I feel like it does make the story less hilarious and goes to more serious tones. That isn't a bad thing but it does contrast the original opinion of Jason that we saw in the first chunk of the book. I have really enjoyed reading the increased synergy between Jason's adventuring group. They obviously become closer, less guarded, and work together well which is really good to see. One thing I don't enjoy though is the fact that Jason's team seems relatively untouchable. Jason gets damaged a fair bit, however his team always seems to be relatively unscathed. There are "close calls" but you never get the feeling of Jason's team really being at risk. For being hurt for more than a chapter. This is a little frustrating as danger makes books more interesting, and even though the book is great the lack of danger concerning Jason's team makes things a little less excited. Overall though, the book is still funny, albeit not as much as it used to be. The book has taken on more of a serious tone, however it seems like only Jason is still at risk. However, it is still a very enjoyable book and I still recommend it. The length of the book, over 2,000 pages, also makes it a great read while we do our best to stay inside.

No comments:

Post a Comment