Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Friday, December 7, 2018

Nyira and the Invisible Boy Book Review

I recently read Nyira and the Invisible Boy by K. M. Harrell. This book's publish date was January 1st of this year.

This book follows Nyira, a young girl who has magical powers. These powers can do most anything,  mind control, talking to animals, turn things to stone, controlling dreams, teleportation, resurrection, they seem to have nearly no limit and are used and turned at the author's every whim. Nyira's watches her family get murdered by slave hunters, and some hauled away. Eventually Nyira gets caught, but for some reason can't use her teleportation powers to teleport herself and everyone else away. The story tells her adventure throughout her slavery and ends with her being persecuted. The book also follows Enriquillo, a boy who has the power to turn invisible. They are both "destined" to be together (like a couple) and both of them are about 10.

If you couldn't tell from above, I'm not the biggest fan of the book. The first part was very dry and boring, and the book never quite caught my attention. Writing the synopsis above though just made me realize how ridiculous the entire plot is. Nyira also seems to automatically know all this stuff with little teaching. I don't really recommend this book to anyone. Its weird, and too dry to keep someone with a young age entertained, and too young aimed to keep older audiences entertained. Another thing that I really have a problem with these types of books, and I get why they do it, but the names! The names are so crazy and so far out there that you can't really know who is who when you read the book. You end up rereading entire pages because you didn't know who was who and were reading it in a much different light. I don't really recommend this book, it isn't worth the money.

No comments:

Post a Comment