Pages

Welcome!

Welcome to my blog! I plan to post my thoughts on books I read here. I usually stick to Sci-Fi/Fantasy books and love them. I read a lot so ...

Tuesday, March 3, 2020

The Wayward Bard Book Review

So sorry that this is late, completely slipped my mind yesterday. I should be back to the norm for next week. For this week, I read The Wayward Bard, a series by Lars M. The book was published on April 21, 2018 and there are two total books in the series. Both books can be found on Kindle Unlimited.

Daniel works a boring desk job, but one day he sees a huge amount of money soon to be transferred to his company's account. Dirty money sent by the mafia. The 8,000,000-ish euros have not been transferred yet though, and Daniel jumps at the opportunity. Rerouting it through many different places, the money eventually ends up in Daniel's account. Before being discovered, Daniel decides to take a 2 year vacation in the exclusive, expensive, and incredibly realistic experience of 5D (all five senses). His plan is to roll a bard, max charisma, and have his 2 year vacation be filled with music, women, alcohol, and gambling. He ends up arriving in the middle of nowhere though, only one village in sight. He tries to access his money to buy a portal, can't get it, and pisses the banker/mayor off with all his anger directed at her. Now, Daniel is stuck. He has no money, no combat ability, no skills other than music, and a town that hates him. That wayward bard will have a lot of work ahead of him.

I really enjoyed this series. From the author's disclaimers I guess bards are a stereotype for harem and stuff like that, but thank goodness there wasn't any in this. This series had a really unique magic system, which I really enjoyed reading about. I have yet to read any others with a system like it, and it was well explained too. The book was funny and had great characters as well. The characters were, for the most part, all pretty likable and fun to read about. The book was filled with great bad puns, which are always fun. The characters all developed and grew in their own way as well. One of the negatives I saw was that the author contradicted himself a few times. Nothing big, but the author said Daniel didn't lose his temper much, not true. It was smaller things like that, but like I said, nothing major. Another thing I didn't like was it seemed like the author forgot about things. For instance the main character gets something special in book 2, and while the book focuses on it a lot at first, it isn't really mentioned too much after, much to my disappointment. I felt like the author could have come up with a better explanation rather than just not focus on it too much. Overall though, I really recommend this book as I really enjoyed it, and none of the negatives were major ones.
The Wayward Bard (World of Chains Book 1) by [M., Lars]

No comments:

Post a Comment